Opportunity to work with the WCS India Program
A one-year Research Assistant position is available with the Centre for Wildlife Studies (WCS India Program) for a project on elephant connectivity between Kaziranga National Park and the forests of Karbi Anglong in Assam, Northeast India. Project methodology will involve elephant habitat-use and questionnaire-based public perception surveys in the human-dominated areas intervening Kaziranga and Karbi Anglong. The position requires good inter-personal skills, as the successful candidate will be expected to work effectively with an existing field team to implement project objectives. The successful candidate will also need to interact and work with stakeholders in the landscape. A background in occupancy sampling and estimation methodology and/or strong social sciences training is highly desirable.
Position: Research Assistant
Location: Kaziranga – Karbi Anglong landscape, Assam
- M.Sc. in ecology or related fields / B.Sc. in ecology or related fields with 3 years of work experience in the field / M.A. in social sciences with work experience in social survey methodologies and preferably, wildlife conservation.
- Good understanding of statistical methodologies.
- Proficiency in Excel and Word.
- Working knowledge of softwares such as QGIS, R etc. is preferable. (Accepted candidates will be expected to learn usage of some of these programs, as required.)
- Fluency in spoken and written English, as well as ability to communicate in Hindi or Assamese.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team.
- Meticulous and organized.
Applicants bringing diverse personal and professional backgrounds to the research program are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will start work in July 2015 and continue till June 2016, with a possibility of extension. Salary will be commensurate with qualification and experience. Interested candidates are requested to send a brief Statement of Purpose (including their interest in this position) along with their resume (stating prior work experience) to email@example.com with the subject line “Application: Research Assistant, June 2015”. This position will be supervised by Dr. Varun R. Goswami, Elephant Program Lead, WCS India Program.
This entry was posted on Monday, June 8th, 2015 at 8:58 AM
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.